Wednesday, May 6, 2009

HR Friends After You Move Positions

I had a discussion with one of my former bosses the other day and it lead me to write this post on friendship.

We discussed each others current direction, he is a HR EVP for a discount retailer and I am now a full time blogger and Twitter fanatic. He was instrumental in my development from 1999 to 2006 and I can honestly say that I grew dramatically over that period of time due to his mentorship and guidance. Although we did not see eye-to-eye on every subject, policy, or strategy plan he listened and took in all that I was saying. Sometimes he would change his view and sometimes he would be steadfast in his direction. Though all of this we were close friends and each grew from our relationship, knowledge and insight.

What I can say is that there are many friends we establish during our working careers and those that are lasting are those that let a person grow at their own speed and have active listening in the process. Thanks Greg, you are the best.

Can you relate to this type of friendship and can you say that your former bosses are still good friends and still mentors even as you have moved on?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great observation and advice for anyone just starting a career or in mid-career. Mentors/boss's can be so effective in developing you as a leader.