Wednesday, August 6, 2008

What Does Your CEO Think of You?

I am sure if you read all my postings you get the sense that strategy, talent management/development, and being in the forefront of your business is the most important aspect of human resources. That said, what does your CEO think of you?

I am a big Jack Welch fan, and a student of his management processes. He has said on many occasions that "the head of human resources should be at least as important as the CFO". So do you think your CEO feels this way about you? I have been lucky over my many years in human resources to hear my CEOs (yes, that's plural) say that about me. I was very lucky in my early years to have a CEO mentor and boss, Willard Sweetser, who was a true believer in HR and utilized me to the max as well as be open to my innovation on talent management, hiring, and cross functional teams in the late 70's. The list goes on in Oak Ridge with Henry A. Morgan, a ex US Navy Trident submarine commander to Mike Wisner, the wiz bang innovator from Chicago who never let me out of his sight to my latest CEO Ian Melville. All were instrumental in growing the business with HR at their side to manage the talent, succession planning, and help to run the business.
So again, what does your CEO think of you?

1 comment:

hrevpexec said...

This post hits the nail on the head. Right on with this one, if your CEO does not think of you this way, you are not adding value to the business